+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tiburon Reels

Tiburon Reels

I fished a new Tiburon SST 16 (Tiburon designed/Okuma made) this year in PV and I have to say it was the bomb! I was very impressed at how well the reel could cast right out of the box, and as far as fighting medium grade yellowfin (up to 160lb range) it was nothing short of excellent, super smooth drag, smooth cranking, topless frame, and constant pressure on the fish without ever having to push that little button. I am now considering trading out all of my Accurate BX 2-speeds up to the 30 narrow size and going with the new Tibs (mainly for their better free-spool and casting, the spool disengages like the newer star drag reels), I would break mine down like I always do with any new reel and remove any grease from the spool bearings and then replace with a synthetic oil for even better casting with sardines. I have heard that 250lb - 300lb Yellowfin have been taken on the SST 30 size and from what I understand they are currently working on a SST 50. It would take a lot to get me to stop using ATD 30's and 50's for the super cow zone, but from what I have experienced with my short personal use on the water with the new Tib SST 16, I can honestly say they are darn impressive reels with some serious benefits for LR fisherman.

Any of you LR gents have anything good or bad to say about the SST reels?

From what I have heard the reels being made by Okuma to Tib's original specs actually crank nicer and are less noisy than the USA made reels - I usually try to buy and support USA made products when ever I can, but I guess Tiburon just coudn't keep the cost down on the SST series so they had to partner with Okuma who actually makes many of the CNC machines being used here in the USA).

Tight lines to all!
    Last edited by Grinder; 04-05-2010 at 11:54 AM.

Certainly a quality reel with a unique feature, BUT, I can shift a reel myself, really I can.
    Single drag washer not an issue until the fish get 'interesting' as I like to say, then I really want two.
    Casting, I've learned, isn't as much the reel as it is the caster.
    The big problem for me is:
    Penn Internationals are made in the USA
    Accurates are made in the USA
    I live and work in the USA
    There's nothing so unique to the Tib line (IMHO), and it IS a quaity reel, that I feel I need to purchase a product made outside the USA.
    I'd feel the same if it were made in Canada.
    That's just me . . .
    Jim
    Ancora imparo.

I have been fishing for over 35 years and I can push the button and change gears pretty good but it sure is nice to not even have to think about it (kinda like driving an auto in busy traffic - ya the stick is more macho but it truly sucks when you are constantly having to shift gears - I have had big tuna run straight at me from out far and from straight below and you never know what to expect especially if they are being chased by their not so friendly toothy neighbors). Not so sure twin discs are all that much better and they add weight to the spool, my high performance auto only has one disc per wheel and it slows down and stops that wheel under heavy load from 130 mph to zero pretty fast and smoothly (granted there are four wheels and four discs doing the complete job but still only one disc per wheel). The important factor here is constant pressure on the fish, if you can get a short pump in, the reel is in high gear even on the downward stroke or if the fish decides to charge the boat you can pick up slack fast instead of fumbling around like a lot of guys do to shift up (no way you can change gears that fast on any two speed!).

The other factor is better casting! You really have to try one of these SST reels to understand what I am talking about, lever drag reels were not made for casting and most all of them do not cast well (even for those of us with educated thumbs or who have mastered the underhand lob), the newer reels are a little better but the original design was built strictly for better drag performance in a trolling application. Casting 16, 20,30 & 50 leverdrags is never going to be easy because of the weight of the spool and the fact that the drag assembly and washer are attached, but the SST reels disengage (unlike most other leverdrags) so they really do free-spool better and the spool also does not have a huge center hub (arbor) like Penn and most others so the spool weight is lower and the line capacity is higher on smaller diameter spools (the Tib spools also have type 3 anodizing which is the hardest available - great for Spectra and for fighting corrosion). My goal in casting a sardine is to get it as far away from the boat and into the zone as soon as possible with as little damage as possible to my bait. Obviously macks, skippies, flyers, etc. are a different story, but most of the time we are fishing with lighter sardines on LR boats.

Ya it sucks that a well designed, inovative American product has to be made overseas to be afforadable to the masses, I guess that is the way of the world we live in today, the good news is that the reels were designed and field tested here in the US for many years by west coast fisherman, and the new partnership between Tiburon and Okuma allows the guys at Tib to continue on in their quest to make reels that function better with fresh new ideas & designs. By the way these reels are not cheap, they cost as much if not more than comparable Accurate or Shimano reels. On one of the other forums I view, I have read comments where anglers say their Shimano and Accurate reels are built like "Ferrari autos", so maybe we could say the Tibs are built like a "Porche" (high performance with a functional design that is well engineered and built super tough to go the distance). Hey it's all good as long as you are on the water and the fish are ready, willing and able!

Tight lines to all!
    Last edited by Grinder; 04-04-2010 at 03:47 PM.

The gear mesh of the new Tiburon is improved, I have heard. Unfortunately the business end of "Made in the USA" does not follow the reel manufactures rules when purchasing the equipment to manufacture Penn Internationals, Accurates and Avets. They buy the best computerized reel manufacturing equipment for the the least amount of money.

There is no business anywhere that has no ties to the world economy.

P.S. I too am disturbed when I see on the reel foot of my new Makaira's a "Made in Tiawan" sticker. Unfortunately nothing is as it was years ago...

I'm sure Tiburon is getting some type of royalty for their design on each SST reel sold. My concern with Okuma was mainly parts and service not so much quality since I knew they were being built and assembled to Tibs original specs on top quality CNC machines. I have spoken with Ken of Ken's Custom Reel in Oceanside (he is a fan of SST reels as well) he says parts are readily available, and I have read that Mark the owner at Charkbait states that Okuma is very committed to service. Ken even has an upgrade 1.2 to 1 lower gear available for the larger SST reels at $100 installed! Like I said, I'm very impressed with these reels and I really do like the way they cast. Waiting for a 50 size topless reel to hit the market and too see how well it holds up to the larger grade of YFT. I believe Ken has a customer that decked a 280lb+ YFT on a SST 30 with absolutely no failure. I am considering a SST 30 with the lower gear fishing #100 hollow Spectra main line stepped up to #130 on either a Seeker 2x4 or Calstar 770XXH rod.
    Last edited by Grinder; 04-05-2010 at 12:36 PM.

I never heard anyone say they regret having a Tiburon reel, That actualy owned one. I haven't used one only seen them, so I am cool with my OLD stuff, until I can use one I will be fine and Ignorance is truly blissfull and I feel really great, So I must be preety stupid!! I'm thinking that , so I musdt be kind of smart too?

HUH? What me worry?

Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    I'm sure Tiburon is getting some type of royalty for their design on each SST reel sold. My concern with Okuma was mainly parts and service not so much quality since I knew they were being built and assembled to Tibs original specs on top quality CNC machines. I have spoken with Ken of Ken's Custom Reel in Oceanside (he is a fan of SST reels as well) he says parts are readily available, and I have read that Mark the owner at Charkbait states that Okuma is very committed to service. Ken even has an upgrade 1.2 to 1 lower gear available for the larger SST reels at $100 installed! Like I said, I'm very impressed with these reels and I really do like the way they cast. Waiting for a 50 size topless reel to hit the market and too see how well it holds up to the larger grade of YFT. I believe Ken has a customer that decked a 280lb+ YFT on a SST 30 with absolutely no failure. I am considering a SST 30 with the lower gear fishing #100 hollow Spectra main line stepped up to #130 on either a Seeker 2x4 or Calstar 770XXH rod.
    I have heard there are a few SST 50s out around for use as prototypes. I have seen no bad things happen to Tiburon reels on big fish. I love all the choices we have.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wahoodad View Post
    I have heard there are a few SST 50s out around for use as prototypes. I have seen no bad things happen to Tiburon reels on big fish. I love all the choices we have.
    Ya it's great that we have so many fine choices today! The fishing industry as a whole has certainly come a long way in the past ten years, we now have many high tech companies getting involved and their use of of space age materials and newer high tech manufacturing capabilites has benefitted us fishermen tremendously. To think that we have a light weight, two-speed "automatic" lever drag reel that actually can cast decently (considering the size of the spool) is amazing. Now if we can just manage our natural resources properly and keep overseas commercial vessles from over harvesting targeted species we will have it "reel" good for many years to come!

Since I missed both Fred Hall shows this year I am hoping that Okuma/Tiburon will be at the "Day at the Docks" in SD and I will get to see and hold a SST 50.

Tight lines to all!
    Last edited by Grinder; 04-06-2010 at 01:25 PM. Reason: adding

+ Reply to Thread